How To Claim UIF Benefit Payments Through Online Application Forms
Table of Contents
Here’s how you can claim the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) payments through online application forms.
What Is UIF?
The Unemployment Insurance Fund simply called UIF simply provides / gives short term relief to workers when they become unemployed. This is also given when workers are unable to work due to maternity, adoption leave, or an illness.
The South African Unemployment Insurance system is governed by the Unemployment Insurance Act 2001 (The UI Act), and Unemployment Insurance Contributions Act 2002 (The UIC Act).
The UIF is both for the employee as well as the employer. They are both responsible for contributions to the UIF. The employee can also been exempted from contributed to this for various reasons.
How To Be Involved
Employees who are registered with SARS for Employee’s Tax are required to also register to pay UIF contributions. Employers can do both by using the “Client Information System”. This allows registered reps and taxpayers to “register, maintain and view” all of their “associated tax and custom registrations in the consolidated tax profile”. Check out more info on registering to pay UIF Contributions and how much to pay here.
uFiling is a secure system which Employers can use to register, declare and pay UIF contributions. The system can also been used by Employees to apply for benefits including unemployment, maternity, and illness. Go here to register.
How To Claim UIF Benefits
Now, here’s how you can claim UIF Benefits. Remember that you can apply for UIF benefits when your employer terminates your service. However, you can only get these benefits if you have been contributing to the UIF while you were still employed.
- If recently unemployed, you must apply in person at your nearest labour centre. You must also be registered as a work seeker, and take various documents with you.
- You must also have the following documents ready; ID or passport, UI-2.8 form (for banking details), UI-19 form (showing you are no longer working for your employer), and proof of registration that you are a work-seeker.
- Hand in the documents at the nearest labour centre. They operate from 07:30 to 16:00 (Mon-Fri). Also contact them @ 012 337 1997, 0800 030 007 (Call Centre), 086 713 3000 (Fax). Email Address: Ufiling@alteram.co.za (Ufiling enquiries) or firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply for Online Benefits;
- Visit uFiling. Click “Benefit Application And Payments”. Select “Apply For Benefits”.
- Accept Terms & Conditions
- Verify your bank details and then click “Next”
- Know that your Banking Details may only be captured once. To update it, the UI2.8 form here.
- Email the completed UI2.8 here. Or simply fax it to 0864397297
- Confirm or update your personal details. This also includes physical or postal details. Then, click “Next”
- Complete info related to your occupation and qualification. Then, click “Next”
- Update work seeker info and “Submit”. Send the application to the UIF. A confirmation message will be sent to you to show your application was successful.